A blog about my life as a woman, a mother, and a wife while having bipolar II disorder.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Your Nearest Exit May Be Behind You

A friend of mine just recently moved to Italy. Anyone else as jealous as I am? Talk about an awesome experience. The same day that she was boarding her flight with her family my psychiatrist changed the dosage on my medications again and told me that the next week, when I saw him for my appointment, he was going to change them altogether. Again. I felt a little frustrated. Here we go again. What is this one going to be like and how will it affect my functionality?

Then while I was thinking about my friend on her airplane, the flight attendant routine started playing in my mind and I heard the phrase, "Keep in mind, your nearest exit may be behind you." It was silly, but this phrase resonated with me. And I thought to myself, in regards to my medication changes which I was viewing as a setback, maybe this isn't a setback at all. Clearly what I'm on isn't working. So maybe it's completely worth it to head out the door (metaphorically) and move on to something else. Maybe turning around to find my exit isn't really taking a step backward, but just a circumvent way of moving forward. I decided then to change my perspective a little bit. I mean, yes, I have to go backward, but all so I can hopefully move forward. I see my doc in two days and we will figure out our new plan and I'm trying to go into it feeling hopeful and positive. Maybe this will be the change I've been waiting for. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment